Saturday, December 29, 2007

Thursday December 27

I have been here for almost 2 weeks now and had yet to check out what is supposed to be the nicest beach on the island, Princess Margaret Beach. The road down to the beach is not the easiest road to navigate in a moke so we hopped a water taxi from the dock in front of the Gingerbread. Competition for water taxi passengers here is fierce, as it is for regular taxis. Everywhere you walk, if you look like you want to go somewhere other than where you are, the drivers all ask “taxi?”. As for the water taxis though, I wasn’t sure if its like in Chicago and you just raise your arm, and it turns out that works just fine. The drivers want to make the most of their time and keep stopping along the way to pick up other people, but lucky for us the woman on the boat with us told him to stop stopping. It was kind of funny.

Princess Margaret is quite nice, it has a different feel from Lower Bay thanks to the new restaurant/bar/spa called Jack’s. While it creates a beautiful setting, my opinion is that it doesn’t fit in with the culture of the rest of the island. Too L.A./South Beach. And it’s the only place to eat/drink on the beach, unlike Lower Bay where you have lots of choices. I do like, however, that they have quite the impressive spa menu. Everything from massages and facials to waxing and an eyebrow “tidy”, and all at very reasonable prices. While I was tempted to get the 90-minute hot stone massage, I just don’t feel like its possible for me to be any more relaxed. I might end up being a zombie if I treated myself to a relaxing spa treatment, but I may have to suck it up and give it a shot before I go….

After the beach, we jumped on the Dive Bequia boat and went out for a snorkel. There was only one paying diver and 5 stowaways: Jill, me and 3 adorable little girls ages 9 and 10. They had a ball exploring while Jill and I snorkeled and the diver and the dive master dove a wreck. I haven’t had the urge to dive here yet because I am just too lazy to get all geared up, but I think I need to add it to the agenda.

Jill and I had a lovely dinner at Mac’s, it was packed. We ran into John and Sue whom we had met at Christmas dinner, they were setting sail for charter the next morning. I had forgotten already that Thursday nights are the big night at the Frangi for the Thursday night Jump Up. Many people eat there or somewhere close by and then hang out and enjoy the steel drum band. We stopped by for just a bit, then headed home to get some rest in anticipation for our big moving day tomorrow!

No comments: