Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Monday December 17

Today was a good day, I learned and was reminded of a few important facts. Learned: (1) if you do not seal an envelope here before you mail it from the Grenadines, stamps are half price, (2) lots of people here are up and about before 9 a.m. and (3) Oprah is on at 5pm on channel 3.
Reminded of: (1) sunscreen only works where applied, (2) as painful as it might be, it is important to read the basic manual of very complex electronics, such as a camcorder, before actually trying to effectively use it and (3) mosquitoes LOVE me.

Today I turned over a new leaf and got out of bed at 8:30, determined to have a full day at the beach. For the first morning here, the sky was cloud-free so I was quite excited. I packed up and headed to the Gingerbread for what was supposed to be a “great” breakfast. If a mangled egg with mangled bacon and 2 slices of cucumber is a “great” breakfast on this island I’m in trouble AND I might actually be able to get a job as a cook here! I took a stroll to Port Elizabeth to mail my Christmas cards and get some cash and to my surprise actually ran into the retired couple I met on the ferry. I met their kids and grandkids as they headed off to Mustique for the day. Very nice people but very hard to understand with that crazy English accent.

I headed to Lower Bay, which is supposed to be a very popular beach, and found that I was one of 10 people who was in-the-know. Let’s keep that secret between us, I don’t want it to get too overcrowded. I enjoyed a very nice day there, taking frequent swims in the Carribean Sea to cool off, followed by exfoliating treatments as I tried to apply suntan lotion while covered with sand and salt. That’s when I gave up on the sunscreen.

Spent the rest of my day at my private pool laying in the pool lounger, then retired to the living room to learn the most important lesson of the day which is that I must be home at 5 to watch Oprah.

After a napper, I headed down to the Whaleboner (no immature laughing) for the Monday night BBQ and steel drum band. To my surprise, no one was there, so I dined at the Frangiapani instead, which is right next door. Too chicken to try any of the local fish dishes I stuck with the chicken dish, which was yummy, followed by some really rich key lime pie and a really awful glass of white wine. Since then I had a rum punch (20 parts rum, ½ part punch) and am now enjoying the reggae twist on pop music that is being played at the Whaleboner next door – the band finally showed up - and a pina colada. I’m sitting about 10 feet from the water with my feet in the sand on an Adirondack chair staring at the sailboats in the habor. Jealous yet?

Post Script: I thought I was done for the evening when I headed to the bar to pay my tab but then I ran into that couple from Florida – remember them? Don and Danette MacDowell. I type that so I don’t forget. Danette and I chatted it up for a while and she introduced me to some island characters, including Noel the Vikings fan and Roger the bartender. Those of you coming to see me will appreciate the latter of those two. Had lots of fun and Danette invited me to their party in Paget Farm tomorrow night for the christmas light festival thing. I predict tomorrow night’s story to be a good one.

No comments: