Friday, January 4, 2008

Thursday January 3

Day at Isle a Quatre with Michael Tours

Today was the last full day for Joe, Brian and Jill, so we booked what is supposed to be a really great day on a deserted island, hoping to pack in as much fun as possible. Well, I think it is safe to say that our hopes were fulfilled and then some. After dropping us on a deserted beach on Isle a Quatre (a small island not far from here), Michael, Junior and Albert went to work on the lunch preparations at the makeshift barbeque about 100 yards away. Suzanne and I swam down the beach around 1 to get some grub and Albert happened to be waiting at the beach just right around the corner and asked us who was the stronger swimmer. Not having any idea why he was asking or any gauge of Suzanne’s swimming skills, I immediately shouted “I am! I am!”. He then informed us that he had forgotten some drink ingredients on the boat and asked me to swim out to the boat to get them. Thankfully Suzanne came too, because there is no way I would have been able to swim back with 2 bottles. Ever have to swim in the ocean while carrying a full bottle of Mount Gay Rum? It’s not easy. But at least if I ever do it again I know that a modified backstroke is the way to go.

The rum punch was then complete and went down a little too easily, as you will shortly decipher from the remainder of the days events. Actually, I think its just best to show some photos. But first I need to compliment Michael on the world’s best potato salad. The chicken was also fantastic but the potato salad was unbeatable. If I could get that and a tuna melt from Da Reef I would be so very happy.

Jill, Junior, Erin and Suzanne

Michael and Jill
The girls, intrigued by Albert's stories

[All relatives might want to skip this part…..] On the way back, Michael made a stop at Lower Bay, we weren’t really sure why, but took advantage and jumped in the water for a little more goofing around. That wasn’t really that great of an idea since the 3 lovely ladies planned to go to a party as soon as we got back to the dock. Given that my bathing suit was all wet and I wanted to present myself well at the party (lost cause at this point) I determined that not putting my shirt on over my wet bikini top was a good idea, and when I put my skirt on, apparently it was inside out. But hey its just a white linen skirt so who could really tell?? I also went sans flip flops, which later proved to be a big mistake. I’ve now attended 2 parties in my bathing suit with beach wear over it, but this was a new one, in just my bikini top and skirt. I guess I wanted to show off my tan.

Jill, Andre and Erin

The soiree sure was nice, much better than one with oreos and chips and salsa. It was also quite crowded, but all of our local friends were there, several of whom pointed out to me that my skirt was on inside out. We provided some good entertainment for all, and everyone understood once they knew that we were out with Michael all day. One of our friends was nice enough to arrange for us to get a ride over to the Salty Dog because he thought we might want some food. Thank God.

We finally headed home about an hour later (thank you Nigil and Jill!) to find that our gate was closed and the remote was in the car which was still at the harbor. This is where the lack of flip flops came back to haunt me. Luckily we were not forced to climb the fence and were able to get through the neighbor’s gate, but as I walked through the landscaping I managed to practically cut off my big toe on some odd piece of vegetation. Its not good and will prevent me from pretty much any more activity involving putting on a shoe, sock, a flipper or something that requires walking longer than a block. Trip home should be interesting.

No comments: