Monday, January 14, 2008

Post Script about Friendships

Some of you have asked me what my comment about learning bad things about friendships was all about. I know that I might live to regret posting this but the character of certain people has just disappointed me so much that I feel the need to share it. Prior to this trip I had successfully recovered financially and emotionally from being significantly taken advantage of and hurt by someone who I really loved and trusted. I had finally moved on and opened up again to my friends, family and to someone who I thought I might be able to pursue a relationship with. I can't help but be upset with myself for allowing myself to be vulnerable and then getting screwed again, but I guess that's the way to becoming a stronger person. At least it only took a few days instead of years to find this one out. While I am upset that these guys are trying to screw me out of a few hundred dollars, what's most upsetting is the fact that people actually think its acceptable to treat others the way I am being treated. Obviously there is more to it than you will read here, but suffice it to say these guys are being huge jerks. You read the blog, the vacation was amazing. I continue to be baffled.

Allow me to share some correspondence I received from 2 of the "guests" after I sent them a bill for their accommodations, totaling just over $600 - yes, that's the TOTAL for 5 days, 2 people at that amazing villa:

From the Friend of the Friend who was supposed to be our private chef for 5 days, but instead only cooked 2 dinners and left the kitchen in a disastrous state on a daily basis. He volunteered to sleep on the couch rather than sleep with a guy he didn't know. Note how he refers to our accommodations as a hostel:

Joe, Here is a recap of the food bills for the house. Looks like 402.42. Then there is the 75.02 for the first night. I paid cash for everything else and picked up Erin and Noels dinner on the hill. I am happy to pay Erin for the flight obviously, please pay her and I will pay you when I see you. I think she comes out ahead with their food vs. my couch. I would have happily traded anyone $500.00 for a bed and a bathroom. I feel shitty quarrelling over this, but most hostels are between 10-15.00 a night, and you get a bed. P.S. Don’t do this to me again. b

01/04/2008
M P* THE FRIENDSHIP ROSE 01/03M P* THE E. Car Doll596.46 X 0.3719948 (EXCHG RTE) + 6.65 (EXCHG RTE ADJ)
$228.53

01/03/2008
M P* DORIS FRESH FOOD BE 01/02M P* DORI E. Car Doll135.45 X 0.3720192 (EXCHG RTE) + 1.51 (EXCHG RTE ADJ)
$51.90


01/02/2008
M P* CAPTAIN MACKS BAR K 12/31M P* CAPT E. Car Doll195.80 X 0.3720123 (EXCHG RTE) + 2.18 (EXCHG RTE ADJ)
$75.02


01/02/2008
M P* DORIS FRESH FOOD BE 12/31M P* DORI E. Car Doll318.40 X 0.3719849 (EXCHG RTE) + 3.55 (EXCHG RTE ADJ)
$121.99


From the Friend who I thought I could date, but obviously that didn't work out. Please note that there was never an "agreement":

Erin,Our agreement never included me paying for the villa or the rental car. Things didn't go so well for us so I feel you're trying to make me pay for it after the fact. I will pay you for the airfare. I feel like I've done plenty for you and that's that.You knew my situation before I got there and I spent plenty on the group. Brians' deal was to pay for food and cook. You never once told him that he was to pay for the villa. We discussed this beforehand. It's taken me a while to get back to you on this because this just cinched it for me. I don't understand your approach at all.I was going to itemize crap out but decided I'm not going to sink to that level. PS I received your message today. I'll put all of your stuff in a bag and drop it off to you w/ the check.

In a later email he called me a "puss" and threatened to send out pictures of me that he thinks would embarrass me. PS - it takes a lot to embarrass me, any pictures he has would not fall in that category. If anyone out there knows a mature single man who doesn't take advantage of people and knows how to have a good time without complaining about everything, please let me know!!!!

3 comments:

PCH / KCH said...

NEXT TIME KEVIN AND I COME TO TOWN WE WANT TO MEET THIS FAILURE OF A MAN AND SPEAK WITH HIM ABOUT HOW TO TREAT A GENEROUS PERSON LIKE YOU WITH MORE RESPECT AND TACTFULNESS!

Shara said...

Erin...it was so wonderful reading your blog about your experiences in my home Bequia. You're stories were hilarious at the least and pure. I felt as if I was there with you! I'm sorry you were taken advantaged by your friends, unfortunately when you travel with people you truly learn things about them, usually things you didn't anticipate. I've shared this blog with other Bequiarians and they love it! Thank you for representing our big, little island, in such a positive light. I look forward to bumping into you at De Reef....eating a tuna sandwich and sipping on a Hairoun :)

lord showbiz said...

I absolutely loooooved your blogs and general comments about your trip!! Actually there are very generous and very fun guys out there..........me...yes me Lord Showbiz!!! PCH can testify!!