Saturday, January 5, 2008

Saturday January 5

Departure Day from Bequia

Today is the day that Suzanne, Erik and I started the journey back home through St. Vincent and Barbados. As much as everyone in Bequia tried to convince us to skip St. Vincent and extend our stay and just book a cheap apartment, we frankly were too lazy to change our plans and didn't follow the advice. Now that we are in St. Vincent we understand why Bequia is clearly the better choice, no matter where you stay. The magic of the islands doesn't exist in St. Vincent. At least not where we are. I cried today when we went to town to say goodbye to various friends I had made and I vowed to return.

As we drove to the ferry, we passed through a post-funeral gathering at the cemetery on Back Street and the sense of community was amazing. It seems as if black pants and white shirts are the clothes that people wear to demonstrate their respect, and no one made a fuss about the cars passing through, depsite the fact that the crowd was huge. As strange as it may sound, it was one of the neatest things that I saw on the island that demontstrated the culture of respect that its inhabitants have, not just among themselves, but among everyone here.

To those of my friends in Bequia who are reading this who I didn't get to say goodbye to, thank you for your kindness and generosity and for making me feel so welcome. This trip has changed me - for the better - and I have learned a lot about myself and about friendships, both good and bad. The most important thing I learned is that I am just as fun and immature as I always wished I could be, and I hope that never changes!!!!

No comments: